A Mystery

Yesterday I got a call from my doorman. There was a bundle of fabric that had been left for me.

I picked up the package that came with this note.


I was delighted with the stash of ponte knit.  Ponte is the kind of knit that is used to make sturdy and comfortable garments that look dressed up but are hugely comfortable to wear. Ponte is a heavy weight knit that is kind to lumps and bumps. Ponte is kind of like stealth sweatshirt fabric that allows you to look serious and well dressed while wearing something as comfy as pajamas. I am delighted with this surprise haul of truly useful fabric.

I do have a problem though. Nancy and I have had several delightful conversations during kiddush
about sewing (among other topics). She took a sewing class at FIT and is a careful seamstress. Nancy's clothes are like her, quiet and elegant. Although Nancy and I have had many conversations, I don't know her last name so I can properly thank her. 


I emailed one of my synagogue friends who knows everyone, and unlike me, has a a wonderful memory for names. He suggested two other Nancy's as the possible giver of this wonderful gift, but neither one was correct.

So I am going to have to broadcast my thank you rather than sending it directly to the generous Nancy. If you see me next winter in a black or midnight blue sheath dress that looks terrific you will know that it looks so great because of Nancy's gift.

Comments