Moving along in Covid-19 Land

Well, we made two Sedarim and friends and family joined us virtually for both.

I had written last week (either here on my blog or on FB) about how at the end of nightly 7:00 pm cheering for health care workers and to remind ourselves that we are not actually alone, a man from across Broadway with a magnificent voice has been singing The Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha.

Well, it turns out that this wasn't just a random man singing out his window, it is Brian Stokes Mitchell who is famous for his interpretation of the song. He had been sick with Covid-19 and is singing to the neighborhood because he is grateful to be back in good health.




Each night the crowd waiting to hear him sing grows. This article appeared in a neighborhood news blog and was picked up by a couple of theater news blogs. A charming magical moment has become a big thing.













If you look carefully you can see people standing in the median strip





I woke up today to two different requests for masks and my stash has dwindled. My college buddy Helene had posted photos of masks she had made for herself and for her husband out of handkerchiefs. I have stacks of old hankies that have been given to me when people clear out their parents' homes after they have died. I spent a little bit of time matching hankies by size and pleasing pattern contrast.





The matching handkerchiefs used were were brand new and even had little stickers assuring the user that they were hand embroidered.




I loved how the pattern on this floral hankie was transformed when it was folded into a box pleat. 
Small bits of amusement keep me going when doing an essentially boring repetitive task.




I love the contrast of the floral print with the plaid reverse.









matching hankies in different colorways




two different checks








sweet applique


I have run low on finely woven smooth cotton. My friend Miriam had given me her mother's tablecloth after her mother had died.. Mrs. Novick's tablecloth has been turned into a big batch of masks. I block printed the boring parts of the cloth.










 I have made so many masks that my spool of elastic is nearly empty. I think my face mask tally is up to 70.




I'm including the next photo just because I love the light through the punch bowl that sits in my front window.



Comments