A lovely thing caused by Covid-19

Like many people who do genealogical research, I have been poking away at my family history in dribs and drabs over the years. Little bits of family history have gotten uncovered as more and more information has been digitized.

Maybe one of the only nice things about being in the midst of a worldwide pandemic is that one has extra time to do research. The New York Public library has made the library edition of Ancestry.com available to library card holders at home. Before Passover I have been looking up databases that had been unavailable to me before.

This being a word-wide pandemic, I am not alone in using this time of social distancing to research my family. Just before Passover I got a message from Natasza. She had found my blog posts where I had mentioned my searches for my Weisglass family Natasza had asked if I had heard of or was related to either Hersch or Siegmunt Weisglass. 

The synagogue in Zastavna, where Siegmunt Weisglass was elected mayor in 1904


Natasza was a direct descendant of my illustrious relatives. What I didn't know was exactly how I was related to Hersch the landowner and adviser to the Kaiser(that was his actual job description) or his son, Siegmunt,  who was elected mayor of Zastavna in 1904. Natasza had located records in Polish which made both of us realize that we were indeed related. 

On the old days, before 23and me, you could figure out if you were related to someone based on the array of first names.  In the Ashkenazi world, a son would name his children after his deceased parents and grandparents. As I looked at the family tree that Natasza sent me names from my family tree kept appearing and in the same order they appear in my family.I am still not certain if my ancestor is the brother of the relative born in 1798 or the brother of



Hersch born in 1837.



 I shared the family tree that Natasza had sent me with my cousin Susan. Susan then sent me this photo of her grandfather and our mutual great grandfather.

 


This photo was probably taken between 1901 and 1904, after young Leizer and his father had arrived in New York and before my great grandmother and the girls came to the States. This photo was probably taken to reassure the family left behind that Leizer and Chaim were doing OK. Leizer is holding a book probably to show that he was studying. Chaim is wearing a kippah to show that he had not forgotten Judaism and his large watch chain is prominently on display to show that he was doing OK.  We own studio portraits  of family members with pearl necklaces painted in to show non-existent wealth and a painted on kippah to reassure relatives back home that the sitter was still religious.  I don't know the reason for Leizer's combination long tie and bow-tie. It seems to be the neck-wear version of wearing both a belt and suspenders.

It is so deeply powerful to have the missing pieces of my family history filled in bit by bit.








Seeing family features appear  and reappear











 is something that is beyond words.


A threat of violence caused my great grandfather and great uncle to escape to New York. Natasza's family stayed in Czernowitz. Life was good for them there.


Natasza's family,

 


with the exception of little barefoot Marcin pictured above, perished in the Holocaust.



The violence that threatened my great grandfather saved our family. Somehow, connecting during this crazy, crazy time makes perfect sense.

Comments