Inspired by the videos of Italians singing together across courtyards while they are all quarantined,
we decided to open our dining room windows Friday night when we sang Shalom Aleichem.
We share a courtyard with an SRO, a single residence occupancy hotel, that is temporary shelter for folks just out of prison or mental hospitals.
About twenty years ago I remember hearing the sound of our then neighbors on the third floor singing Shalom Aleichem as we waited for my husband to arrive home from work. I felt so deeply comforted by their singing. Perhaps someone felt a bit of comfort and human connection from our voices Friday night.
My youngest and I took a walk in the park in late afternoon yesterday. Our older son received a frantic call from the blood center to donate platelets and went this morning to donate. He is just now eating a restorative lunch.
I suppose that eventually we will settle into the new normal. Until then we are all anxious
we decided to open our dining room windows Friday night when we sang Shalom Aleichem.
We share a courtyard with an SRO, a single residence occupancy hotel, that is temporary shelter for folks just out of prison or mental hospitals.
About twenty years ago I remember hearing the sound of our then neighbors on the third floor singing Shalom Aleichem as we waited for my husband to arrive home from work. I felt so deeply comforted by their singing. Perhaps someone felt a bit of comfort and human connection from our voices Friday night.
My youngest and I took a walk in the park in late afternoon yesterday. Our older son received a frantic call from the blood center to donate platelets and went this morning to donate. He is just now eating a restorative lunch.
I suppose that eventually we will settle into the new normal. Until then we are all anxious
Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.