Skip to main content

In anxious times

The other day I had a delivery to make to 103rd Street. I had never noticed this plaque before. I had known for years that Humphrey Bogart was born in the neighborhood But now I know exactly where.



A few houses down I admired a really nice addition to a brownstone.






It's really difficult to marry modern design with a more old fashioned building. I can't tell you exactly why this works, but it does. It might be how the new shapes echo the old or how the weathered copper looks so right with the brownstone. It's just a joyful addition to the streetscape




Further up the hill I saw signs of spring time.



A tulip is blooming in a tree pit coming through the bed of pine boughs that was put down as a winter blanket. Soon whoever is in charge of the tree pit will clear away the signs of winter.



I passed one of my favorite buildings on West End Avenue.For many years one of the residents used to decorate all of the little porches and alcoves with Mayan looking faces made out of fired red clay. The various heads were exactly the same color as the building. The odd mix of the two seemed to sum up exactly what the neighborhood was when I first moved here. 


We are living in anxious times. The crowds in the supermarket are nuts. People are walking down the street clutching giant packages of toilet paper and five gallon jugs of bleach as if it is the end of the world.

I had decided to not attend synagogue this week, I still have that cold I have had since September- I thought that it was best not to be in a crowd. Just a few minutes ago my synagogue sent out an email saying that services will essentially be limited to a minyan...and would be live streamed- because it's just hard times. I was surprised that the news made me weepy.

This video  (please wait through the ads, it's so worth it)

had me sobbing at my computer. I so love this expression of togetherness despite being isolated . I hope that we can use the internet in our community to create that feeling here in our corner of the world.

Today was a day to cook comforting food.


I rolled up what was left of the hamentaschen dough with what was left of the chocolate and apricot filling.
before baking

and after




I had split the smallest one and gave a bite to each of my sons who declared it good. I think this yeast dough will have a permanent spot in my baking repertoire.

The challot are waiting to go into the oven. They have been rolled with a cocoa and maple syrup paste.


In between being anxious about the Corona virus and cooking I am even getting some work done.

 I am not delighted with my lettering here...but it will have to do.



 I know that all of us who are having to  live physically isolated from one another will find ways to virtually be present and deepen the bonds of community as our friends in Siena have.

Our challah is nearly done, my son is stewing some eggplant. We will eat together.



Wishing all of us a Shabbat Shalom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...