Food Friday

Once again, it's Friday and time to cook another Shabbat dinner.

The view from our bedroom window---or at least a part of the view.


I had made  crispy breaded cod for dinner last night and wanted to play with more  crispy coating.

My parents regularly used to use matzah meal and spices to create a coating for fish. I learned how to first dip into  a watery egg wash so the crumbs adhere better, back when I was in elementary school.

I bought a package of course ground grits several weeks ago. I thought it would add a good texture to the fish. It did.

So when I made today's chicken I mixed the grits, and some farina and hawaj.
 I realized as I was mixing up the bread-cumb mixture that my default cooking style is a multicultural mix. North African Hawaj seems to be a perfect pairing with grits--both in my head and in my mouth.

 If you haven't done this method of breading..here it is in visual form.

 Prepare your crumb mixture and an egg beaten with some water. Iou can spice the egg, but I didn't this time.


Dip the chicken first in the egg -wash and then in the crumbs being sure that the chicken is well coated. 






If you have a little kid or two at your elbow you can put them to work at either of these tasks.

Here is a pan of coated chicken ready to bake.


Through the magic of time, here is the same pan cooked.



I also made meatballs (spiced vaguely French with thyme and with a mirepoix - a fancy name for ground mushrooms, celery and onions cooked in wine)

and sweet potatoes sliced and cooked with fresh ginger and fresh lemon.

We will be having a green salad and berries for dessert.

Shabbat Shalom!

Comments