Skip to main content

נר ה' נשמת אדם

Last night was the first night of Chanukah. Our daughter and son in law came to light candle with us. A friend joined us as well.

We all worked together to make dinner, cheese latkes,
sweet potato latkes, apple sauce,
If you cook the applesauce with the apple skins your sauce develops this gorgeous color. My older son and I discussed if it was worth the trouble of removing all of the apple skins from t completed sauce. The jury is still out o  this one. 
cranberry sauce and a giant salad. After we ate, we lit candles.

Every year, after candle lighting I take photos, usually not of the people around the menorahs but of the flames themselves. Last night, I was ready to not take photos to just be in the moment.

But in the middle of the singing, my youngest slid my camera over to me,.



I took photos of our lit menorahs. As I thought about why I do this year after year, I thought about the line from Proverbs,
נר ה' נשמת אדם
God's candle is the soul of human beings

If you look carefully at the photo above you will see seven individual Chanukiyot each one lit by someone I love. Each one is in a way a portrait of that person.

After we light candles, we sing the following.


It's a simple formula, mandated by the Rabbis that is a quick summation of why we light candles and celebrate Chanukah and the rules for candles and candle lighting.

Parenthetically, I photographed these texts from the  United Hebrew Congregations of the British Empire Prayer book given to me by my friend Melinda.  It was published in 1931. I particularly love the Hebrew font used, it's a great combination of quirky and rigid.


The text itself is a great mix of  the lofty and  the highly practical. Miracles and wonders are mixed with the rule that these are ceremonial lights only and you are not to use the Chanukah candles for task lighting.

Without fail, I find this text deeply moving each and every time I light Chanukah candles. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...