It's Done!!

At long last, the tallit is complete.


I had made a beautiful atara (neckband), only to realize that it was just too wide for the narrow tallit. My husband wisely suggested that I use it as the decorative element on the bag.


My dear friend Welmoed had given me a length of red silk curtain from her drapery workshop a few years ago. It was the perfect color for the bag. The lovely work Welmoed had done to line and interline the curtain provided exactly the right amount of structure for the bag.

I lined the bag with red linen and calligraphed the bat-mitzvah girl's name  in Hebrew and English- here scribbled out for her privacy. Below you see the tallit inside the bag.



I made a new atara. Below you see the mitered corners of the embroidered ribbon. Mitering used to be a task I did really badly.

I love how the machine embroidery evokes the look of of old hand embroidery from any number of cultures.






You can see what the ribbon looked like before I embroidered it.


Here the tallit is laid out so you can see the pinot/ corners as well.





 the Hebrew text on the pinot is translated on the back







the tallit tucked into the bag---it's a party




Comments