Well, it's been a while since I have posted.
I didn't post about food last Friday because my sister came for Shabbat and even brought nearly all of Shabbat dinner with her.
My sister came because our cousin got married last weekend and there were FESTIVITIES.
We took the Staten Island ferry together.
If you look at a Jewish wedding wearing your anthropologist's hat you would say that the the point of the circle dancing is to reinforce the circles of community and family. This wedding had an excellent band. The bride and groom have both danced with all of their hearts at many weddings of both family members and friends. We all had to repay them that mitzvah.
The band wanted to stop playing, but we sang until they started playing again. Even the waiters danced in with their platters of food. We all danced until we just couldn't dance any more. Everyone arrived at the wedding beautifully dressed and coiffed. We all danced until our hair-dos melted and we were as soaked as if we had played too much basketball in the sun. Photos from this excellent wedding were taken by my husband.
The wedding was a celebration of the bride and groom, of friendship, of community and of family. We are fortunate to be in the circle with this bride and groom.
This was also a week of work.
I have to clean up stray threads and take photos of the atara not laid out on my lap but attached to the tallit.
BUT for the technical minded among you- the texts chosen by the bar-mitzvah boy have been photo-transferred onto silk. I chain-stitched along the edge of the white silk using a thread of light blue and metallic rayon yard and one thread of blue silk. I mixed the fibers for for strength and to get the right mix of colors.
The midnight blue ribbed silk border is mitered (so fancy!) and I added rows of silver embroidery that echo the woven patterns in stripes of the tallit.
For dinner tonight we are eating
Chicken cooked with slivers of tiny peppers, the thyme my sister brought to decorate one of last Shabbat's elegant dishes, lemon and lime juice. I cut in the corn raw to warm up with the chicken it should be perfect by dinnertime. I don't know if this is exactly French or Italian in flavor but it seems like summer chicken to me.
This week's challot are slightly over baked and slightly under-glazed. I don't think anyone at the table will turn up their noses at the challah.
If you are in the neighborhood, I am giving the D'var Torah tomorrow.
Shabbat Shalom!
I didn't post about food last Friday because my sister came for Shabbat and even brought nearly all of Shabbat dinner with her.
My sister came because our cousin got married last weekend and there were FESTIVITIES.
We took the Staten Island ferry together.
The band wanted to stop playing, but we sang until they started playing again. Even the waiters danced in with their platters of food. We all danced until we just couldn't dance any more. Everyone arrived at the wedding beautifully dressed and coiffed. We all danced until our hair-dos melted and we were as soaked as if we had played too much basketball in the sun. Photos from this excellent wedding were taken by my husband.
The wedding was a celebration of the bride and groom, of friendship, of community and of family. We are fortunate to be in the circle with this bride and groom.
This was also a week of work.
This atara is now sewn onto the tallit
I have to clean up stray threads and take photos of the atara not laid out on my lap but attached to the tallit.
BUT for the technical minded among you- the texts chosen by the bar-mitzvah boy have been photo-transferred onto silk. I chain-stitched along the edge of the white silk using a thread of light blue and metallic rayon yard and one thread of blue silk. I mixed the fibers for for strength and to get the right mix of colors.
The midnight blue ribbed silk border is mitered (so fancy!) and I added rows of silver embroidery that echo the woven patterns in stripes of the tallit.
For dinner tonight we are eating
Chicken cooked with slivers of tiny peppers, the thyme my sister brought to decorate one of last Shabbat's elegant dishes, lemon and lime juice. I cut in the corn raw to warm up with the chicken it should be perfect by dinnertime. I don't know if this is exactly French or Italian in flavor but it seems like summer chicken to me.
This week's challot are slightly over baked and slightly under-glazed. I don't think anyone at the table will turn up their noses at the challah.
If you are in the neighborhood, I am giving the D'var Torah tomorrow.
Shabbat Shalom!








Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.