Skip to main content

Food friday- last Chametz edition

My husband had helped his cousin edit a paper so he and his wife took us out to dinner last night as a thank you. They asked us to choose a restaurant. I suppose that they may have expected us to choose one of the many elegant kosher restaurants in the city. 

Those of you who know us well, know that most of our restaurant recommendations start with the words, "Well, it's really ugly but the food is amazing...".  I had eaten twice at Taam Tov in the Diamond District. Taam Tov means "tastes good" in Hebrew and they totally live up to their name. You need to pay attention to their name because there is nothing in that name that implies beauty.

The restaurant is located up three steep flights of steps. There is a tiny elevator you can take. The food is Uzbeki/Bukharian.  I took my daughter there after her semester in China. She was missing Uyghur food. The Uyghurs are a Muslim minority that lives at the western edge of China. The food they eat is really similar to Bukharian food. When I took my daughter she was so happy that her homesickness for China could be satisfied so well.

My husband's cousin and his wife are world travelers. They are not very adventurous about food. I assured them is in many ways similar to Eastern European foods but the spicing is a little more like a cross between Indian and Middle Eastern food. 

Our food arrived. I ordered the vegetable soup with beef pelmeni. Pelmeni are kreplach.  I think that the pelmeni were stuffed not just with beef but also with lamb. I could eat that soup every day for a year and still love it. My husband ordered Georgian pilaf. What's not to like about rice and beef and vegetables beautifully spiced?

We talked and ate and ate.

Today is our last Chametz Shabbat.  We are changing dishes on Sunday because I can have help from the maximum number of people. The theme of tonights dinner was using up stuff.



My older son had given me two botttles of Heinz 57 sauce for my 57th birthday. The last bit of it went into tonight's chicken.


I baked a cake to use up flour.
It's a blood orange spice cake with the last of the cranberries I had frozen at Thanksgiving. It's another faked cake.

My son is visiting with friends tomorrow so he is making bagels to bring along as I type.


We are eating Mexican street corn. There will also be a salad.

I have been getting read for Passover by washing  curtains.

And setting up a new curtain for the kitchen.

My mother's oval linen tablecloth is the background and. It is topped by this sweet piece that comes with its own valance. I have a few pieces similar to this one. I have no idea of the original use. I love the central motif of the chick emerging from the egg. For such a childlike image, the needlework surrounding the little chick and egg is surprisingly sophisticated and is called Italian drawn thread embroidery. 

Aside from the beautiful cut work, and the pretty embroidery to shade the egg shards and the feathers, the sky behind our little chick has been created by making a network from thread. Usually, this sort of handwork is made into very sophisticated designs similar to Florentine brocade work. But someone chose to lavish time on the background of a sweet little chick.

I don't know who made this piece. It was given to me by my friend Yocheved's buddy, Milly. It had belonged to Milly's mother.  Milly is probably well over 95.
I am glad to have this chickie overseeing our Passover cooking.

One of the things about living in the age of the internet is the ability to share experiences with others. One of the Facebook groups I belong to is called Kosher Costco. As one could imagine in these pre-Passover weeks there are many postings. There are some things that I really don't understand though. Lots of people are wondering about the availability of Passover cakes.  Passover begins about two weeks from tonight. If I bought cake today, it will be several weeks old by the time it gets eaten. 

Anyway, lots of you will be heading down the road of Passover prep in the near future. Years ago I had read a commentary on the season that talked about how in the weeks before the High Holidays you do a kind of internal cleaning, and as part of it on Rosh ha Shanah you toss a bit of bread, that symbolizes sin into a body of water. During the preparations for Passover, we clear our homes from all of the bread. Clearly in Judaism bread is a symbol of a kind of sin, of stuff gone wrong.

I see the hard work of the season as something profound, something full of meaning. I don't want to sound all Pollyannaish but there is something just awesome about doing all of that hard physical work (and it is hard) and then sitting at that table and singing those first strains of the melodies.

I grew up in a family where the cooking and cleaning for Passover wasn't women's work. My parents and my sisters and I all worked together to make it happen. We also all sat at the table and chanted the Haggadah together. It wasn't that the women cooked and the men did the Haggadah, both parts, the physical labor, and the ritual were done by all of us. 

 I am having trouble writing what I feel and not sounding obnoxiously preachy. We take pride in running marathons, in our long swims, in Zumba classes that leave us sweaty in pilates classes so hard that we are left shaking.  Passover too is a great physical /spiritual challenge that we do each year. Part of the joy is that hard work to get us there.

Shabbat Shalom!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

The light themed tallit has been shipped!!!

 I had begun speaking to Sarah about making her a tallit in the middle of August. It took a few weeks to nail down the design. For Sarah it would have been ideal if the tallit were completed in time for her to wear it on Rosh HaShanah., the beginning of her year as senior rabbi of her congregation. For me, in an ideal world, given the realities of preparing for the High Holidays I would have finished this tallit in the weeks after Sukkot. So we compromised and I shipped off the tallit last night.  I would have prefered to have more time but I got the job done in time. This tallit was made to mark Sarah's rise to the position of senior rabbi but it was also a reaction to this year of darkness. She chose a selection of verses about light to be part of her tallit. 1)  אֵל נוֹרָא עֲלִילָה  God of awesome deeds ( from a yom kippur Liturgical poem) 2)  אוֹר חָדָשׁ עַל־צִיּוֹן תָּאִיר   May You shine a new light on Zion ( from the liturgy) 3)  יָאֵר יְהֹ...