Chanukah is here once again...

is actually the title of a stunningly terrible Chanukah tape that we unearthed in my in-law's basement. It's so awful that we make sure to play it every year and we did this year.

I had a baby naming to attend in the Bronx at noon, so I left my husband with a shopping list.

I got home and the latke making began. I ask my friend Mark forgiveness, these latkes were all baked, but with lots of oil.  I am terrible at frying. For Mark frying latkes is crucial, an essential tenet of Judaism. I am sorry to have let Mark down.

I made three varieties. My son-in-law is allergic to white potatoes.
This was yucca caramelized onion and cheddar cheese. This is a flavor I would do another time. They taste awfully close to traditional potato latkes but with a dryer, starchier texture.

We also had sweet potato and apple.

Not pictured is greens and cheese.

Also, not pictured was the mad dash to make them all in time for dinner.  It was a tag-teamed meal with my youngest baking the bread and washing the food processor and bowls over and over again.

My older son made the applesauce- you can see the bread behind the glass applesauce bowl.

He also made the cranberry sauce. Yes, that is being served in a large ash-tray.
We lit candles after dinner.



It was so nice having a full house tonight.

Comments