back at the sewing machine again

After being away for two weeks, it was nice to be back at my sewing machine. My youngest son is home from college.  He had a pile of folded pants on the floor of his room. They all needed mending.

My son is a skinny guy. He usually keeps his phone in his back pocket. The skinny jeans he wears look great on him but the lycra/denim mix isn't the longest wearing fabric on the planet. The parts of his pants that support the pocket usually fail from the weight of his phone.

So, right after I returned home I started mending pants. This checked pair has been mended several times.  I have been adding a patch to the inside of the pants and grafting the two layers together with lots of stitching.
 Luckily my son doesn't mind the contrasting bits of patch showing.

I mended two pairs of the lavender and black checkerboard jeans.

I also mended two pairs of jeans that I think I bought my son while he was still in middle school. When I think about it, these pants may have been worn for 
 at least a year or two by my older son. My youngest loves these jeans because they are so soft.
 Two pairs of jeans needed repairs in the crotch.


The black and white striped pair was potentially tricky because of the white stripes, they seem to have been made out of a plasticky type of a paint. I didn't know how my sewing machine would behave. I added some black rayon knit to the underside of the fabric. When the pants are worn the repairs aren't all that obvious.


What felt like the most complicated repair for me, was replacing the pocket bag on this pair of jeans. 
I made a pattern of the existing torn pocket, cut a new one out of orange linen, because I had a scrap the right size and then stitched the new pocket bag into place.

All of this mending involves some pleasant problem-solving. Each problem has several possible solutions and I usually try to use the solution that works the most easily for me. There is something oddly soothing about the process of making all of these pants wearable again for my son. Luckily lots of designer jeans are featuring the sorts of repeated stitch patterns that mending produces.  My son likes the look and is happy I can fix his pants. 

I never would have thought that I would find mending so satisfying. 

Today I got a challah cover ready to send to the bride and groom.

The text is the chorus of this poem 
English translationTransliterationHebrew
Chorus:
1Let’s go, my beloved, to meet the bride,Lekhah dodi liqrat kallahלכה דודי לקראת כלה
2and let us welcome the presence of Shabbat.p'nei Shabbat neqabelahפני שבת נקבלה
Verse 1:
3"Safeguard" and "Remember" in a single utterance,Shamor v'zakhor b'dibur eḥadשמור וזכור בדבור אחד
4We were made to hear by the unified God,hishmiʿanu El hameyuḥadהשמיענו אל המיחד
5God is one and God’s Name is one,Adonai eḥad ushemo eḥadיי אחד ושמו אחד
6In fame and splendor and praiseful song.L'Sheim ul'tiferet v'lit'hilahלשם ולתפארת ולתהלה
Verse 2:
7To greet Shabbat let’s go, let’s travel,Liqrat Shabbat lekhu v'nelekhahלקראת שבת לכו ונלכה
8For she is the wellspring of blessing,ki hi m'qor haberakhahכי היא מקור הברכה
9From the start, from ancient times she was chosen,merosh miqedem nesukhahמראש מקדם נסוכה
10Last made, but first planned.sof maʿaseh b'maḥashavah teḥilahסוף מעשה במחשבה תחלה
Verse 3:
11Sanctuary of the king, royal city,Miqdash melekhʿir melukhahמקדש מלך עיר מלוכה
12Arise! Leave from the midst of the turmoil;Qumi tz'i mitokh ha-hafeikhahקומי צאי מתוך ההפכה
13Long enough have you sat in the valley of tearsRav lakh shevet b'eimeq habakhaרב לך שבת בעמק הבכא
14And He will take great pity upon you compassionately.v'hu yaḥamol ʿalayikh ḥemlahוהוא יחמול עליך חמלה
Verse 4:
15Shake yourself free, rise from the dust,Hitnaʿari me'afar qumiהתנערי מעפר קומי
16Dress in your garments of splendor, my people,Livshi bigdei tifartekh ʿamiלבשי בגדי תפארתך עמי
17By the hand of Jesse’s son of Bethlehem,ʿAl yad ben Yishai beit ha-laḥmiעל יד בן ישי בית הלחמי
18Redemption draws near to my soul.Qorvah el nafshi g'alahקרבה אל נפשי גאלה
Verse 5:
19Rouse yourselves! Rouse yourselves!Hitʿoreri hitʿoreriהתעוררי התעוררי
20Your light is coming, rise up and shine.Ki va oreikh qumi oriכי בא אורך קומי אורי
21Awaken! Awaken! utter a song,ʿUri ʿuri shir dabeiriעורי עורי שיר דברי
22The glory of the Lord is revealed upon you.K'vod Adonai ʿalayikh niglahכבוד יי עליך נגלה
Verse 6:
23Do not be embarrassed! Do not be ashamed!Lo tevoshi v'lo tikalmiלא תבושי ולא תכלמי
24Why be downcast? Why groan?Mah tishtoḥaḥi umah tehemiמה תשתוחחי ומה תהמי
25All my afflicted people will find refuge within youbakh yeḥesu ʿaniyei ʿamiבך יחסו עניי עמי
26And the city shall be rebuilt on her hill.v'nivnetah ʿir ʿal tilahונבנתה עיר על תלה
Verse 7:
27Your despoilers will become your spoil,V'hayu limshisah shosayikhוהיו למשסה שאסיך
28Far away shall be any who would devour you,V'raḥaqu kol mevalʿayikhורחקו כל מבלעיך
29Your God will rejoice concerning you,Yasisʿalayikh Elohayikhישיש עליך אלהיך
30As a groom rejoices over a bride.Kimsos ḥatan ʿal kalahכמשוש חתן על כלה
Verse 8:
31To your right and your left you will burst forth,Yamin usmol tifrotziימין ושמאל תפרוצי
32And the Lord will you revereV'et Adonai taʿaritziואת יי תעריצי
33By the hand of a child of Peretz,ʿAl yad ish ben Partziעל יד איש בן פרצי
34We will rejoice and sing happily.V'nismeḥah v'nagilahונשמחה ונגילה
Verse 9:
35Come in peace, crown of her husband,Boi v'shalom ateret baʿalahבואי בשלום עטרת בעלה
36Both in happiness and in jubilationGam b'simḥah uvetzahalahגם בשמחה ובצהלה
37Amidst the faithful of the treasured nationTokh emunei ʿam segulahתוך אמוני עם סגלה
38Come O Bride! Come O Bride!Boi khalah boi khalahבואי כלה בואי כלה

This was all painted on silk shantung (please ignore the passive voice, this is all my work). I love the soft colors and the cheerful grapes.

Before I moved to New York the thought of living in such a big city kind of terrified me. Soon after I moved here I remember taking the train back to New York after a visit back home.  The train travels next to the Tri-boro bridge and then turns left and you see a fabulous view of Manhattan. I remember becoming so excited because I was seeing home. I haven't come back to New York and not had that same feeling of excitement and anticipation and being truly home.



Comments

  1. It's a beautiful challah cover. The bride and groom are lucky to have it.
    I got a new sewing machine a few weeks ago and decided to try out the mending stitches on my husbands jeans. I never thought I'd have fun doing it but I enjoyed it.
    I've also been stitching out all the fancy stitches which I can't figure out what I'd ever use them for since I'm a minimalist in clothing and decor. But it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are ways to use the stitches that works...a little harder for adult clothing...I just used embroidery stitches on two men's shirts that I lopped the collars from and wear as lounge wear. . Both shirts had worn out collars. I was feeling lazy so just cut the collars off ( rather than unpicking all of that tiny fine stitching and re sewing) I used a fake blanket stitch to edge the collar and then added more stitching in the same color to make it all look intentional.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.