Shabbat and Shavuot

We are essentially eating a Shavuot menu for Shabbat.


Inspired by my friend Iscah, I got a little creative with the challah shapes.

here they are, post -baking.

Tonight we are eating one standard braid and one flower.

The blintzes get a blueberry sauce. Those diners committed to the full dairy experience get sour cream.

Our non-dairy protein comes from the annals of ancient cookery, I made pickled cod. You can't get more old-fashioned than that.
Pickled fish is perfect for three days of Yom Tov. You set it up and stick it in the fridge and it is tasty throughout the holiday. The color was dreary so I added slices of the red carrot to cheer the dish up a bit. 


I am serving the cod in this dish.

It was my mother-in-law's. It made my husband really happy to see this casserole in use. When this casserole was new, in the 1940's there might have been other people making pickled cod for Shavuot.

Continuing on the theme of old-fashioned food, 

I made a big pot of lokshen mit kaese, noodles with soft curd cheese, (cottage cheese and ricotta) made with homemade noodles, lots of black pepper and a bit of cayenne. it looks bland but does not taste bland.

I also made a big pitcher of gazpacho to start our meal.
Our guests are bringing salad and dessert.


Shabbat Shalom and Chag Sameach!


Comments