Skip to main content

Food Friday - influenced by the Britts edition

Before I begin with the actual content of today's posting I have a message for the woman who emailed me a couple of days ago from the "email me" box to the right. Unfortunately, you put in a bad email address. I attempted to email you four times and each time the postmaster  returned the message as un-deliverable. So write back. I will be happy to discuss making you an atara for you grandfather's tallit.

 So now, on to my actual post.

I work out most mornings. Usually as I do my weights or run in place on my rebounder I have something on the TV from Netflix. This week I have been watching The Great British Bake-Off.

I love how completely kind the contestants are to one another. I am also completely charmed by the baking categories I have never heard of, like a picnic pie or was it a loaf?

I am still not entirely sure what a Victoria sponge is, but I did learn something in the pretzel baking segment, that [pretzels are boiled with baking soda in the water to help create a nice shiny crust. A soft pretzel is a near cousin to a bagel so I tried it out in my last batch.

I would give this tip a hearty "not bad". The crust texture was improved. There is still one bagel left and if you get here before it get's eaten, then it is yours.

I knew my dear friends were staying for Shabbat, so I baked a cake.

Yes, this cake was influenced by binge watching the British Bake Off. It's a citrus almond and ginger cake drizzled with ginger/lime/tequila caramel. I have fresh berries to serve with the cake.

My son made vaguely Indian chicken, I made a mixed grain pilaf and have roasted veggies to add to salad.
The broccoli is in the fridge waiting to be added to the salad.

Dinner is starting late so we have some starters so the people who are here won't faint from hunger.

I have LOTS of work currently on my plate so there wil be lots of photos to share of work in progress next week.

And for your pre-Shabbat pleasure, sunset from the New Jersey Turnpike.
This seems to be almost an illustration of the Chassidic teaching that there are sparks of the divine -even in a rock, and even on the New Jersey Turnpike.
Shabbat Shalom!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...