Skip to main content

Canadian Thanksgiving as Celebrated on the Upper West Side

My nephew is in town and is coming for Shabbat dinner with his Canadian girlfriend.  I realized after I had put the chickens in the oven that it was Canadian Thanksgiving.  It was too late to make the chicken any more Thanksgiving like.

So in honor of the Canadian girlfriend I roasted winter squash in olive oil and maple syrup.

SAM_1158

Cooking for my nephew always takes a bit of thought. He is severely nut allergic.  I am one of those cooks that thinks that nearly any food can be improved with the crunch of nuts. I don’t want to kill my nephew though so I had to plan the meal carefully.

 

One food that is emblematic of Thanksgiving is cranberries. I had purchased the first bag of the year earlier in the week. I love cranberries and would keep a supply in my freezer at all times if I could.

 

I decided to make a cranberry pie. I started with a crust made with wheat germ, brown sugar and white flour and a pinch of salt. The wheat germ is for crunch not for it’s healthy qualities.  Brown sugar was added for it’s deep flavor. Nuts would have been nice in the crust, but a nephew in the ER from an allergic reaction  is not nice so we will skip the nuts for this week.

 

I patted the crust into the pan and then baked it for ten minutes

SAM_1152

I find that fruit pies are better with a barrier with some fat content  between the fruit and the crust.  The barrier keeps the crust crispy. Since I love cranberries with chocolate I added this to the bottom of the crust.

SAM_1153

It’s Israeli spreadable chocolate, a less fancy version of Nutella. The label suggests using this spread to fill cakes and sandwiches. Israeli kids live on it.

SAM_1154

And then cranberries right from the freezer.

SAM_1155

Mixed with a tablespoon of flour and about a cup of sugar.

SAM_1156

Cranberries have such an intense flavor that I didn’t add anything else.

I baked the pie.

SAM_1161

I may sprinkle some confectioner's sugar on the pie before I serve it.

 

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Shabbat Shalom!

Comments

  1. Wow! I never thought of cranberries and chocolate. I shall have to try it.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...