Skip to main content

Pesach during Sukkot

Well, the last stretch of Sukkot begins tonight. As much as I love cooking, I have been dragging my feet all day. Never the less, I have two chickens in the oven  ( with smoked paprika, black pepper and onions), the challah dough is on it’s first rise and my noodle dough is resting.

During the week though I made some progress on the matza covers. I realized yesterday that making matza covers during sukkot has a bit of a Christmas in July  sort of a feel.  I have three in progress. I had taken this photo before I sewed the elements together for a blog post I didn’t have time to write.
SAM_1096
I suppose that if I were a different sort of a girl, even making batches as small as three matza covers I could manage to make them look more or less identical. I am not that girl though. So the results each have their own personalities.
SAM_1097
This one is ready to line and assemble. I have run short of water fabric so have added some turquoise wool. The outer border is periwinkle colored silk shantung.  I edged the meeting of water and rocks with blue silk cording stitched with gold metallic thread. I may have to punch up that meeting spot between water and land.SAM_1098
This one has it’s full share of water fabric and I used the turquoise wool as the outer border. Ruffles of blue hand dyed silk tape marks the water/land divide.SAM_1099
This last piece still needs a border. I used  bias strips of blue/grey silk charmeuse to mark the water line.  I may need to punch this up as well.

My husband is worried that the rocks don’t look enough like rocks and look too much like random circles.  What do you think? Yesterday my friend Eve voted that they were convincingly rock-like. I would love to know what you think.

!חג שמח

Comments

  1. love it, it could be rocks in an evocative way that meshes with the text. Happy Sukkot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...