Skip to main content

Seder Wrap Up

Friday, I engaged in what I think of as Olympic cooking.  I made a carrot  potato kugel, cooked the quinoa, shredded and sliced the horseradish for the Seder table made a few batches of Passover puffs and I concocted a pie.

No, I don’t have photos of the pie. You do have to trust me on this one. it was beautiful and it was delicious. I made a nut crust in the food processor using left over ground almonds and pecans whipped together with a bit of matza meal sugar, salt and a bit of water. I think there was about a cup of nuts, a table spoon of the matza meal, a scant tablespoon of sugar , a smidge of salt and a tablespoon or two of water.

I pressed the mixture into the bottom of a spring form pan and had the mixture go up an inch or two up the sides of the pan.

I baked the crust. Then I made a lemon curd. I love lemon curd, but it is often dairy. I sort of followed  a recipe for lemon filling from Leah Leonard's, Jewish Cookery. Most lemon curd is too sweet for my taste. So I made it tart, to my taste.
Lemon Curd
1 c sugar
3 T potato starch
mix together and put in a small pot
add 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice and 1/2 cup water
heat on medium until mixture boils, stirring the whole time
remove from heat
whisk in 3-4 egg yolks  ( mine were left over from making meringues)
then finish with a small blob of olive oil ( or a knob of butter if you are making this dairy)
mix well
I piled the curd into the crust and let it cool in the fridge. Then I covered the top with strawberry halves. I melted some apricot jam and brushed it over the pie and let that set.

The crust crumbled a whole lot but it was incredibly delicious. I love that this dessert didn’t feel like a Passover dessert. 

The rest of the food for Passover came out well.  I can’t count the batches of meringues and Passover puffs that I have made. I even made one batch with oil using Mark Ruhlman’s ratio ( 4 eggs/1 cup fat/1 cup water) . I ‘m thinking that the secret of really puffy puffs is both using four eggs and letting the mixture cool before adding the eggs.

100_2527

My youngest went to a birthday party this afternoon and brought a batch of orange scented  meringues that he made with only minimal direction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...