An invention

100_1374

Late night TV is filled with ads promising to help inventors. This photo shows a Jewish ritual object that I invented about fifteen years ago. Shabbat ends with a short ceremony, called havdalah, speration.  During havdalah we smell sweet spices to ease our transition from the holiness of Shabbat to work- a –day life.

My invention was transferring the text of the havdalah onto a bag filled with sweet spices. When you hold the bag when you recite the prayer the spices get released into the air. This morning I got an email asking if I had any havdalah bags available to be picked up this afternoon.. I didn’t. I did have an order for another bag so I made both together. I made one bag extra, which is still unembellished, but will be ready with just a few moments of needle play.

Comments