a challa clarification

I realize that I didn't say how much flour one uses to make challa. The right answer is, it depends. The amount of flour you use depends on how the flour was stored before you bought it, how you store the flour and how damp it day it is when you bake. It also depends on the size of egg you use and all sorts of other variables.

The easy answer is, have a 5 lb bag of flour handy. You won't use all of it, but you will use most of it.

You add flour and knead the dough until it really has the feel of  ( I know this seems weird, but it's the closest description I can figure out) a baby's tushie.  You have gone too far if the dough is completely coated with white flour. You have not added enough if the dough is sticky and messy to touch. if you have added too much flour, pour a bit of oil on your hands and continue to knead until the dough is back in balance.

If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out. If there are problems, let me know and I will try to figure out where my directions mislead you.

Comments