Skip to main content

Siblings

I have a friend whose kids look so much alike that when child #3 needed to bring a baby picture into school and none was to be found, they sent him off to school with a baby photo of their oldest, and none were the wiser. To me, my kids look like they all came from the same family. Several times though, my youngest has had the same teacher as his older brother, and the teacher had no clue that the two were related. They have a fairly unusual last name too.

When I make challa covers I will often do a small series at the same time, meaning two or three. I will make the series using the same fabrics, and often the same techniques. Often, like my two sons, they end up looking very different.

These two Lecha Dodi Challa covers. Yes, this is the very same text used for the Ultrasuede challa cover. And yes again, I used the same leaf and vine motif on all three challa covers.

The text has been stencilled onto both using a stencil cut out of Bristol board. I used the same periwinkle blue silk shantung. Both have a painted and printed vine motif, in similar colors. Both also have a linen border in navy, but then the differences begin to appear. one has a wide blue border with an embroidered vine and three dimensional appliqued leaves made out of vintage home dec fabric.

The other has the seams reinforced with a gold embroidery stitch of diamonds. Like my boys, very different. Like my boys, both good each in it's own way. So which one do you prefer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...