Skip to main content

More Passover prep

I'm taking a break from Passover work.

Earlier today I was at the butcher's. As I was paying for my purchase, I mentioned to the Jamaican born cashier that I was planning to switch my house over tomorrow. She said " You're kidding! You STILL haven't switched your kitchen!!!"

I am in the middle of working on the meat dishes and pots.This is the first year that we are doing meat during Passover. Every other year, until last year, we would go to my parents for Seder. After eating out fill of meat for the first two days of holiday, we were content to eat dairy for the rest of the holiday. My father died a year ago September.  I couldn't bear to do Seder with my mother and my sisters last year.So,we all went to my husband's friend's house. He had just come off of a difficult divorce. I went up a few days early and cooked like a madwoman.

This September, my mother moved out of the house that she shared with my father ( and the rest of us) since 1957. When she moved, she gave me the meat Passover dishes. My husband said, when we took them, " I guess we are now doing Seder." And so we are. 


 It will be weird to see those Passover meat dishes  in my house.  I have the year round meat dishes, pots and silverware all put way in the large wooden chests that the meat Passover dishes live in during the year.

I just finished unpacking all of the Passover meat dishes  boxes. The dishes are all in the cabinet in my kitchen.I look at the dishes and see Passover. I know that these dishes are not a universal harbinger of Passover.

When I was five, my family went back to Halifax. My father was invited to officiate at a Bar Mitzvah at his previous pulpit. I became quite sick as soon as I arrived. I spent our entire time in Halifax at the Offman's home in a teeny bed room with minature furniure. Although I was sick enough to hallucinate during that visit, I didn't hallucinate the furniture. Sol Offman had a furniture store. The child sized furniture was manufacturer's samples. I was charmed by the furniture that was scaled to my size.

I also remember being awakened from a feverish sleep to be fed  barley soup. As Lil Offman fed me, from a bowl in the same pattern as our Passover meat dishes I remember being confused.-- it wasn't Passover in December, was it???? The combination of that good barley soup in what looked like our Passover dishes spoon fed to me by Lil, who looked like a good fairy or an elf mother in a story, made me feel very, very loved.

Comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...