Skip to main content

A morning at Sotheby's or what I would buy if I had an extra $40 million kicking around

These two images are from an astounding collection of mostly printed Judaica that is for sale at Sotheby's. http://www.sothebys.com/ The sale is taking place this Thursday.

Jack Lunzer a dealer in industrial diamonds amassed this collection that chronicles the history of the printing of Jewish books.

Sotheby's arranged this massive collection partially on shelves organized by city of printing with shelves reaching up to the 20 foot ceilings. The exhibit sort of replicates the sense one has seeing these books in the home of their collector. I went to the exhibit partially just for the pleasure of seeing and also because I have an invitation commission. The invitations is to have the look of old Jewish illuminated manuscripts. I had worked out a couple of decorative elements. I wanted to be sure that I was on the right track.

As I wandered through, I looked at old Haggadot, volumes of the Talmud, broadsheets and was sort of delighted to see that the inexpensive student editions of the Talmud I had used when in high school worked really hard to replicate the look of the earliest printed editions of the Talmuds an homage to their sources.

One of my favorite items on display was a printed page that ended with an elaborate interlaced printer's cartouche. Just to the side of it, one of the owners of the book attempted a simplified version of that design. But below the cartouche a child very crudely attempted their version with a pointed nibbed pen. I could just hear that child's mother yelling at her kid centuries ago. It just made me laugh.

I especially loved the manuscripts in the back room.I was gratified to see that the designs that I had doodled out for my client were all well represented in work from the 1500's and the 1700's. I also felt so comforted seeing that some of the calligraphy and embellishments were no better, and sometimes less skilled than my work. It made me feel very connected to generations and generations of Jews trying to do the best that they can.

If you are here in New York this week, go to Sotheby's. If not, you can download the brochure for the sale.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...