Our table is set for Shabbat. People we love will be joining us.
What are we eating?
Chicken stuffed with dried Iranian limes. I softened the dried limes in hot water for a few minutes before stuffing them into the chicken cavities. The dried limes or limoo punch above their weight flavor wise.
We are also eating, what has become for us, the side dish of the season,
It's potatoes and carrot sticks roasted with olive oil, black pepper and lots of lemon juice. There is some sort of an alchemy that makes this simple combination taste much more complex and delicious than it ought to. You can certainly fancy this up with with some fresh herbs but there is no need to.
Salad will be made after I am done writing.
Below is either a lovely set custard or a wet mess. I made an almond milk based custard that I had planned to be vanilla flavored but I made some left turns along the way. I steeped cinnamon and mace in the almond milk and then added some bourbon and rose water and orange flower water along with the vanilla.
Either set or wet, this custardy thing will be served alongside some beautiful cherries.
In addition to being the season of potatoes and carrots roasted with lots of lemon juice, this has been a season of small appliance failure. One of the clear signs of small appliance failure is that pre-electrical fire aroma. The blow drier my husband gave me as a birthday gift in 1982 gave up the ghost at the beginning of the summer. The Vornado fan that I bought about thirty five years ago began emitting that electrical failure smell a few weeks ago. We bought a new one.
One of my irons sprung a leak. The electrical wiring in our bedroom has been finicky and we hadn't been able to use our air conditioner. Luckily my husband as able to get our unit to run last night.
I thought that the air conditioner unit in our dining room had died but it just needed a bit of crude DIY to get it working again.
As always, our lives are imperfect but pretty good.
Shabbat Shalom. Stay cool,




Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.