Skip to main content

Pocket book repair and progress on two tallitot

 My mother never took a pocketbook to synagogue on Shabbat or holidays. To her, a pocketbook meant that you were taking money or your car keys to synagogue. Both would have earned a sniff from my mother.  My mother always took along tissues in her pocket or in the cuff of her sweater because she had terrible allergies and a tissue was always needed.


Decades ago my late friend Fred told me that he grew up in a family that was irreligious. Fred, as an adult felt drawn to greater observance. He once told me that he married his ex wife because he was so impressed  she knew that that it wasn't proper to take a pocketbook to services. He laughed ruefully because he discovered that this was ALL that she knew about Jewish observance. ( And no, the marriage didn't last).


All of this is a long introduction to the fact that now I carry a pocketbook to services every week. I have a pretty severe sesame allergy. I have to take along my Epi-pen because after services every week there is a kiddush-- a light, or not so light meal.  I usually am pretty good at figuring out which foods can kill me...but not all of the time. 


I have been buying vintage evening bags and pocketbooks to hold my Epi-pen, housekeys and tissues, because like my mother I need tissues.

Last summer I had a hankering for a pocketbook similar to the one I had at some point in junior high school or high school. It may have been a hand me down from one of my older sister. It was a straw  hard sided bag with leather findings. Don't forget I grew up outside of Boston, it was what ladies used during the summers.


Anyway, I found what I wanted on eBay. I was delighted with it.


Clearly the sort of bag one might wear with Pappagallo shoes or a pair of espadrilles.

Unfortunately, the last time I used the bag, one of the rivets that anchors the leather strap on the back of the bag broke. I looked on Amazon for replacements.  I could have either purchased three rivets for ten bucks or fifty for the same ten bucks. Yes, I purchased the fifty, because perhaps I might need big brass rivets.



I had to unstitch the lining from the straw.


and then replace the rivets.



I was unable to remove the rivet on the lower left, so the slightly smaller  rivet will remail until it breaks.

Re stitching the lining to the straw was quick and easy.




As you can see the bag was made in Hong Kong. I am guessing that it is from the 60s, but it could be from the 50s or as late as the 70s.


I am glad that the fix was relatively easy.


I have not just been doing pocketbook repair. 

 I painted text on Hanoch's tallit








I also have been working on Jess's tallit.






That's Psalm 29.  I will probably go back and outline all of the letters.








I am very pleased with how I constructed the ribbons.



Bit by bit both Hanoch's tallit and Jess's tallit are heading towards the finish line.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

The light themed tallit has been shipped!!!

 I had begun speaking to Sarah about making her a tallit in the middle of August. It took a few weeks to nail down the design. For Sarah it would have been ideal if the tallit were completed in time for her to wear it on Rosh HaShanah., the beginning of her year as senior rabbi of her congregation. For me, in an ideal world, given the realities of preparing for the High Holidays I would have finished this tallit in the weeks after Sukkot. So we compromised and I shipped off the tallit last night.  I would have prefered to have more time but I got the job done in time. This tallit was made to mark Sarah's rise to the position of senior rabbi but it was also a reaction to this year of darkness. She chose a selection of verses about light to be part of her tallit. 1)  אֵל נוֹרָא עֲלִילָה  God of awesome deeds ( from a yom kippur Liturgical poem) 2)  אוֹר חָדָשׁ עַל־צִיּוֹן תָּאִיר   May You shine a new light on Zion ( from the liturgy) 3)  יָאֵר יְהֹ...