A New Configuration

Because I had sold my only copy of this matza cover, it was time to make some new ones for my stash. I really like the design. my lettering has improved a whole lot since this was made several years ago. b'chol (4)

The center of the matza cover is made out of a quilting cotton that is no longer in print. Now that I have access to really beautiful silks and wools, it seems like a waste of time to make challah covers and matza covers in quilting cottons.

 

The stone path through the water is the major focal point of the matza cover, so I had to figure something out. I’m also trying to figure out how to do work in less obsessively labor intensive ways. When I actually sit down to figure out how much I make per hour, it can be pretty depressing.

 

I decided to try painting the rocks. I pulled a piece of  ivory wool/rayon broadcloth out of my stash. my tallit is made out of this wool as is my son’s.

This is what I came up with.

SAM_1094

Rocky enough for you?

I then cut strips out of the rock fabric and painted the letters, b’chol dor va dor/ in each generation. The rest of the line is chayyav adam lirot et atzmo k’ilu hu yatza m’mitzrayim/ a person is obligated to see themselves as if they personally left Egypt.

SAM_1093

I also needed to create water. In the original matza cover I pieced the water out of an array of fabrics.  this time I decided to be a little more strategic in my approach.

I painted a hunk of silk to look like water. Once the water dries – I know it sounds funny but the silk is still damp from the dyes

SAM_1092

I will piece  the lettering pieces ( I made three) to the water.  Then I have to do the complex engineering of putting the three pocketed matza cover together. Maybe it isn’t that complex, but it always gives me a headache getting it figured out so I don’t mess it up.

Comments

  1. Absolutely beautiful, Sarah. We love it! Cathie and Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, this is extraordinary. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts