A pretty nice evening out

My husband and I belong to a small paper-the-house ticket subscription service. That is, we pay an annual fee and then get to see shows and performances for $4.50 per ticket. We tend to see lots of theatre. At that price, we are willing to take a flyer on something we hadn't heard of. Often the things we get to see are Broadway shows or off-Broadway shows. We have seen some pretty spectacular things using this service. You need top to be willing to take a gamble. At $4.50 there is lots of room to gamble on an evening. My husband selected tickets for last night for a musical revue on the Lower East Side.

This was in the subway station at Delancey street.


I  stopped to admire the mosaics, take photos
and then continue on my way to the theatre.
Across the street from the theatre was this old shul; that has been restored.
We had some bubble tea before the show.

The show itself is what happens when excellent performers with fabulous singing skills and no idea about how to write or structure a piece of theatre think they can do a great job without pesky people like writers or directors.

We were hungry though, neither of us had eaten dinner. We saw three restaurants in a row, a trendy and overpriced bakery/bar, a Thai restaurant with a clever name and an Indian restaurant. We went for Indian.

The food more than made up for the less than fabulous show.  The owner seems to have been our waiter and took care of us as if we were eating at his home.  We were so full after our delicious meal we decided to walk off some of our dinner before we went back on the subway home.

We passed an old favorite.

Yes, they are still kosher.

We passed chic bars, trendy home stores,
and fancy clothing stores.
I liked the tied grommet detail on this shift dress.

This Crate & Barrel is in the old Butterick Building. I never pass it without remembering a few days during a summer long ago when my friend Steve kindly hired me when I was between jobs. Steve was hired by Crate & Barrel to design the interior before they took over the lease from a carpet store. We had to clamber over stacks of carpeting nearly to the ceiling to take measurements. The neighborhood was so completely different then, just the slightest inklings of its current chic were visible.

Eventually, we made our way to the subway.

We got to our stop,

and into our elevator,
and then we were home.

Comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.