A moment on Broadway

 One of the realities of street life in New York is that folks who are crazy share the streets with the rest of us. People who moved lived in the neighborhood when I moved in, in the early 1980's may remember than man I used to call "Onion Head" because he used to wear the net bag from a 50 lb. bag of onions on his head to keep whatever was bothering him in the outside world at bay. Or you may have less fond memories of the woman who I  thought of as the mean and crazy blind lady who was exactly that. The entire neighborhood has fond memories of the terribly thin black gentleman in a suit who used to walk up and down Broadway every day and at all hours shouting, "Hallelujah! God bless! God Bless!" at the top of his lungs. You heard him even if you lived on a high floor.



This afternoon I was walking down Broadway to shop for some last minute things for Shabbat. On my way south I noticed a man yelling and gesticulating. I didn't know if he was having an animated phone conversation or if he was just crazy. I did the shopping I needed to do and headed back home. The man had moved a couple of blocks and was yelling even louder I realized that he wasn't having a conversation with a friend but was arguing with his demons. No problem. I just kept walking.






As I passed he called out to me, "You look really nice today! I love your boots!".  I thanked the gentleman.


He went back to arguing with his demons. I carried my shopping back home.



Tonight we are eating chicken cooked with Sri Lankan curry powder.


You can buy a bag at Kaloustian's. I have no idea what it tastes like but it smelled heavenly while it cooked.


Shir Ad, my favorite YouTube channel has been highlighting old Israeli songs written during times of war. This song seems to capture this moment.


And a bit from the Friday night liturgy


Shabbat Shalom to all of us.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed your piece today. I think I’m so far removed from NYC, I would have been nervous encountering the “demon” man. But just the fact that he noticed your boots was a small miracle. Had that happened to me, (his commenting about liking your boots), it would have made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a Chassidic teaching that you need to see each and every human as having the face of the Divine. The man fighting his demons was arguing with whoever was inside of his head...I was outside of that conversation. The man was clearly very loud but harmless. I am so fond of my neighborhood, of the city. My heart jumps whenever I cross back into Manhattan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.