busy busy busy....

Today was a little extra busy for a Friday. It was a challah baking week, but my youngest volunteered to take care of that task.

In addition to the regular cooking, the husband of  a classmate died and I attended the funeral. The ties between our families are long, across three generations.  If in the general world you can assume six degrees of separation between any two people, and in the Jewish world there are two degrees of separation between people, the ties between out families are a complicated network so despite it being a Friday afternoon, I needed to be there.


I started today's meat right after I had my morning cup of coffee.


I massaged in a mix of ground coffee and spices. I think the mix included cinnamon. ginger, allspice, black pepper, cayenne pepper not and smoked paprika. Several hours later it looked like this.


Our guest tonight is the daughter of dear friends. I first met her when she was a couple of weeks old and now she is an adult, pretty amazing.  She grew up vegetarian and is an enthusiastic meat eater. i thought that brisket was the right thing to serve.


Our guest, like me has New England roots. I saw the smallest Hubbard squash I had ever seen at the vegetable market and bought it.  Hubbard squash has a dry almost waxy texture. i mixed the roasted squash with some roasted carrot and turnips and mashed the whole thing up with maple syrup, black pepper ginger and cinnamon along with some orange juice to thin the whole thing down. I didn't have the patience to mash it to a smooth puree so it is just a lumpy one instead.

My youngest tasted and thought it tasted just like New England and autumn.


Adding to today's complicated day was a client meeting.

A tallit incorporating these elements will soon exist in the universe.




Candle lighting is in a minute...so Shabbat Shalom to all of you.

Comments