The hard part is over

The matza balls got made.
So did the iconic no-gebrochts chocolate cake.  There is a tradition to not use matza in cooking- in ways that it will become wet. People who follow that tradition call matza that is used in cooking or baking or broken up into soup Ge-brochts- or broken. My family doesn't follow that tradition but we do make a very excellent no gebrochts  chocolate cake. Here you see it hanging out upside down to maintain it's height.




It released beautifully from the pan. My mother would have been pleased. Other years the top had broken so I had to camouflage the ugly with chocolate custard and fresh strawberries. This year I could serve the cake unadorned.
























 This is the recipe for the cake.

Mrs. Mael's No Gebruchts Chocolate Cake
preheat oven to 325
9 eggs separated
beat yolks with one cup sugar until thick and  the color of butter
stir in 8 oz melted bittersweet chocolate
stir in 2 cups chopped walnuts
beat egg whites until stiff  ( if you add a pinch of salt they will beat up better)
gently fold egg whites into chocolate /nut egg yolk mixture
pour into a tube pan and bake for an hour
invert pan until cooled and remove cake to plate





We made lots of meringues. A bit of yolk got into the egg whites while we were separating the eggs.  If I were a different sort of cook I would have ditched the whole batch, instead we improvised and baked them in forms.  We added candied orange peels and bittersweet chocolate to some,

and just the chocolate to the ones we made in the lined muffin tins. No one complained.


With so many egg yolks left over, I decided to make a batch of noodles.  They sat in the fridge until today, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap. 


This is what I had for lunch, noodles with carrots, fennel and cheese.


These are pretty credible noodles.


I poured the egg yolks into the food processor- there may have been 10, but you really don't need to make that big a batch. I then added equal amounts of potato starch and tapioca flour and added more of the two dry ingredients until the mixture came together into a ball. The noodle dough ball sat in the fridge for a few days, but an hour should be fine. 

When I want to roll out noodles I dust a linen tea towel (any smooth woven cloth will do) with potato starch and also dust my rolling pin with the starch before rolling out. Then roll a small golfball sized bit of the dough as thin as you can.  It's a breakier dough than a regular noodle dough. You probably can't do a filled noodle like kreplach with this dough.

Once the dough is rolled out cut it into thin slices, then you can boil it like a regular noodle.

Another bit went into our soup tonight.

 I made this jellyroll

from this cookbook


It came out soggy but really delicious. I may have underbaked it. The directions for how to unmold the cake and roll it up are brief but really good. I filled the cake with pomegranate jelly











Our maror top continues to grow. this afternoon it was just shy of 20 inches tall.
It also has three blossoms.
Our apartment is usually so terrible for plants. It's exciting to see something, anything, grow here.



Over the past several weeks my dear friend Racheley has been posting wonderful photos of flowers growing wild in her neighborhood in Israel. I thought of her as I took photos outside our local plant shop.


If you ignore the truck in the background you can pretend that you
are in a lush forest.


Moadim L'Simcha!

Comments