Tzitzit Tying, Tallit bag and food Friday

Wednesday my future son-in-law converted to Judaism. Tomorrow he is being called to the Torah for the first time. The tallit and the bag needed to be completed so he could tie the tzitzit before Shabbat. The passive voice is misleading here, I needed to finish the bag and the tallit.

Several weeks ago my future son-in-law admired a skirt I was wearing. The fabric was made out of felted strands of orange and yellow yarn fused onto a black gauze. I had fallen in love with the fabric when I had seen it in a fabric store. It was selling for $100/yard. I was in fabric lust, but I do have some self-control, even though it was a fabric so wonderful it showed up in my dreams repeatedly.

A couple of years later my favorite internet fabric store was selling 5-yard bundles of the fabric for truly reasonable prices. I bought the orange and yellow fabric and another bundle in purple and brown.  

My daughter suggested I make the tallit bag out of the purple fabric. it seemed like a brilliant idea. My future-son-in-law loves purple.
 The fabric is great but it presented two problems for use as a tallit bag. One was that the long yarn strands are kind of fragile. The other was that the purple was a little depressed looking. I came up with a solution that addressed both issues. I couched purple yarn over the fabric. You can see the original fabric on the left and my improvements on the right.

Here is the completed bag.

And this is the interior.
A pixillated turquoise and purple upholstery silk. my future son-in-law's other favorite color is turquoise and he has a degree in computer programming.

The bag was done. The tallit was complete. All that was left was tying the tzitzit.
The task was completed.


Today was a challah baking week.
The chicken is cooked, a simple salad and a grain will be made before Shabbat.

Our dessert is a faked pear spice cake that has been soaked in rum. It is inspired by the amazing apple rum spice cake made by my Halifax born buddy.

I am so looking forward to this first aliya tomorrow morning. I expect to be shedding many tears of joy.

Comments