A headpiece adventure

My daughter wanted me to put together a headpiece for her for her wedding. She works full time but had today off. Normally I would not be able to go shopping on a Friday but the stars aligned so that I could go on this delightful adventure with my daughter even though it is one of the shortest Fridays of the year.

A dear friend invited us for dinner, so that meant that I didn't have to cook. My son volunteered to make the challah so that I could go off with my daughter. We decided that our first stop would be M+J Trimming because they have everything. Walking up 6th avenue we saw a 1950's bus, we looked in and were invited on by the driver.
It was on the street as part of a holiday season project by the transit authority. I was reminded of the busses I used to take with my sisters from Field's Corner to Hancock Street in Quincy. The bus even had that same old bus smell I remembered from my childhood.




There we bought 4 yards of Russian veiling. We don't need anything like four yards but this is enough to experiment and fail. My daughter looked at the tiny hat forms and nothing was quite right and everything seemed a little pricey so we kept going.

Often these days when you pass the Millenary Center Synagogue the door are locked and there is a selection of off-price sheets being sold. Today, the sheets were being sold but the building was open. We walked in and the chazzan introduced himself to us. He explained that he is selling the sheets to raise money to rebuild the synagogue. The synagogue is badly in need of fixing up and we had a delightful chat with the chazzan.

We had more elements of the headpiece to purchase so we moved on. We easily found the base for the fascinator that I will be making and it was on sale. We weren't exactly sure what would go on top of the little hat base. We went into several trim stores. While we were in one store I picked up a crazily huge flower and put it on my daughter's head almost as a joke. Much to both of our surprise, it looked amazing and works perfectly with the wedding dress.

Before we committed to that flower we explored our other options at all of the other trimming stores. We returned convinced that we had made the right choice and purchased that giant flower.

As I type this, the challah was just put into the oven. I am grateful to everyone who made this little Friday adventure possible.


Comments