A Glorious Day

I met my friend Carol about twenty years ago on an online sewing discussion group. The discussion group itself was an outgrowth of a small sewing news letter, Creative Machine Newsletter put out by the brilliant sewing writer Robbie Fanning. The newsletter had migrated to the internet and then several years later the host of the of the discussion group decided to drop the CMn group from it's roster.

CMN had become a real home for me. Not that many people in my social circles here in Manhattan sew. There aren't that many people in my neighborhood who can talk me through a sewing emergency. My pals on CMN though could be  obsessed about ways to install a zipper or how to fix a really terrible sewing disaster when there isn't another square inch of fabric around to patch the horrible scorch I have created on a nearly done tallit.

The people on the CMN list are dear friends.  I have never met most of them in real life. I can tell you though that I count some of them as my dearest friends.  So when the list was in danger of closing down, and my friend Welmoed asked me to be part of the team that ran the list in it's new incarnation I agreed.

One of my cohort and fellow list auntie is Carol Coleman who sews and knits in her spare time but in her real life is a math professor who has traveled the world and has taught in a woman's university in Bangladesh. Right now Carol teaches in one of the upstate SUNYs.

She and her husband would be in New York and did I care to join them for a museum visit? The answer was of course, yes.

We decided to go to  the Cooper -Hewett.  We went to see this exhibit of  Jazz age style. 
The exhibit closes today, but all of you can visit virtually.  There aren't that many museum exhibits where viewers laugh aloud with joy at what they are viewing. There aren't many museum exhibits where you keep hearing gasps of "Wow!".  When I exclaimed really loudly
when I saw this clock, the museum guard assured me that I was not the only visitor who was yelping my way through the exhibit.The guards pointed out pieces that they wanted to be sure that we saw.
 My son who had come with me said he had never appreciated tea sets before.

Well, don't waste your time reading my post. Just visit the exhibit yourself on the Cooper-Hewett site.

Comments

  1. I agree, such good people on the list. I was glad to get to talk with and finally meet you as well. I miss my NYC trips and have to plan one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsey, I will forever be grateful that you came to pay a Shiva call after my mother died.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.