One would think that a tallit with stripes made out of ribbons all cut to the same length would be fairly simple to put together. In theory, this would have been a really simple tallit construction wise.
Reality though was quite a different thing. One of the ribbons was incredibly fragile and had to be supported with some iron on interfacing. Despite Linda's careful directions of where people should decorate their ribbons, Linda's dear friends and relatives were not so good at following directions. The glue on letters that one sister chose to use for her beautiful message kept peeling off as I worked. The fabric we had selected for the tallit turned out to be too fragile to support the heavy ribbons. We selected a second sturdier fabric but it meant changing the whole process of construction. These changes can be described in one quick sentence but took a whole day to complete.
All of those tweaks and headaches were complicated by two days of Holiday in the middle of the week. Neither Linda no I like to do things at the last minute but there were were, essentially at the last minute, tying the tzitzit.
I got the pinot finished by lunchtime
This is Linda's spectacular calligraphy on the atara. She has such a pretty hand there. I am really impressed.
I constructed the atara and sewed it onto the tallit by 4;00.
Then Linda came by to tie her tzitzit.
As I expected, Linda learned how to tie the tzitzit quickly.
She followed the cheat sheet I had set up for her and worked away at the task.
And them it was complete!