Food Friday- cheap gag edition and blog salad

My parents had many prized possessions, but among the objects they loved was a set of pewter plates they found in a local antique store.
They are most probably 19th century copies of 18th century plates. The top one reads Shabbes Fish the lower plate reads Shabbes Kugel. Those plates hung in our kitchen in Quincy from the time my parents acquired them in the 1970's until after my mother died. Now they hang in our dining room.

During Passover we ate one big meat meal after another. I wanted to have a lighter meal this Shabbat. I suggested to my husband that we eat fish tonight. He quipped that we should eat both Shabbes Fish and Shabbes Kugel,  just like our plates. I rarely make kugel  but to match the plates, I did.
It's a spinach and cheese kugel. It isn't cooked in a round pot like the one on the pewter plate. I know that those round kugel pots were how kugels were made in Eastern Europe but I think that both of my parents grew up on kugels baked in rectangular pans.


I roasted some vegetables.
The fish is still cooking as I type this post.  It's breaded salmon. I trust that you have the imagination to picture that on your own. The first post-Passover challah is cooling on the kitchen table.

Earlier today Rebecca came by to tie her tzitzit.
She was familiar with the knots since she was really good at making friendship bracelets. Rebecca is probably among the top 5% of tzitzit tiers who have ever sat at my dining room table to tie their tzitzit.

She worked quickly and expertly. Soon she was ready to put on her tallit.



















Yes, you can see how pleased she is with the tallit and with her own work.

Rebecca knows what she likes and what works with her coloring.

As she tied her tzitzit she talked about being nervous about reading Torah and her haftarah tomorrow. we talked about how many mistakes it is OK to make and still do a good job. I have no doubt that Rebecca will make few enough mistakes to feel that she has done a good job.














Because I have met a few big deadlines, and no longer have to cook for an army, I indulged myself by making two dresses. Both are cut in the same shape but the different fabrics give a very different feel. 


 The blue dress is dressy and the tie dye one is not. Some of my go-to dresses have gotten worn out.
Shabbat Shalom!

Comments