A snowy day at the Met

I had been reading about this exhibit at the met and decided to go, despite the snow.
The Costume Institute after years and years of staging costume exhibits where it was nearly impossible to see the clothing is finally beginning to exhibit garments so they can be looked at as opposed to drowning the exhibits in special effects.

Jacqueline de Ribes was a rich lady with good taste. Even when she bought clothes from the couture hoses she used to work closely with the designers to makes the clothing work better for her. Eventually, she opened her own design house.


I loved the dress in the center of this photograph. The side panels of the skirt are pulled over the front bodice forming both a cape and the gathered bodice. 

The sleeves on this gown are gathered loops of fabric.
I loved how the button stand curves around the body. If you follow the link above to the exhibition page, you can see this dress on the runway in purple.  I think I prefer it in black.

Many of the dresses in the exhibit were not garments designed by de Ribes but owned by her and then worn differently than the designer had shown the garments. here an Armani evening skirt is not worn with it's matching top but with a sweater and hip belt. It's not rocket science, but it does look good.
I love how the lace underlay makes this dress extra sexy.

I wouldn't make a special trip to New York to see this exhibit. I'm guessing that the Met is hoping to inherit all of her clothes and the exhibit may seal that deal.



I did love the small exhibit of gilded age art furniture. When one has lots of money and labor is cheap you can end up with some pretty spectacular furniture.




By the time I left it was snowing in earnest.
After a few hours of eye candy I am now ready to get back to work.


Comments