Preparing for Sinai

 

blintz 001

This is the Torah from Sinai, or at least as given by Adele in a Shavuot about forty years ago. I wrote out this recipe card in the 1980’s.

The following is the torah sh’baal peh – the oral tradition of blintz making.

Bletlach or pancakes

 

Mix and pour

SAM_2399

Trim if needed

SAM_2400

stack on tea towel

SAM_2398

SAM_2401

Continue stacking…SAM_2402SAM_2403

Cover bletlach with tea towel and make filling.

Filling

SAM_2404SAM_2405SAM_2406SAM_2407SAM_2408

You can vary the cheeses. You want a mix of curdy  grainy and lush/creamy. SAM_2410SAM_2411

 

You also want to add some, but not a ton of sugar. I think I added just over a table spoon. This isn’t an American dessert.  It’s slightly sweet but not cloying. You can also add freshly grated orange rind or some cinnamon. This time I added just vanilla and a bit of orange rind.SAM_2412

To assemble

 

Get yourself set up with all the things you need. Put the bletle down cooked side up.

SAM_2413

 

add filling to the middle

SAM_2414

Fold in the sidesSAM_2415

Roll from the bottom

SAM_2417

 

Place in a pan for frying later.

SAM_2416

Once they are all rolled up fry seam side down first.

SAM_2418

Threaten your children with death if they threaten to steal any before Shavuot begins. Or you can gently remind them that stealing is one of the mitzvot given at Sinai.

Comments

  1. Re: American Desserts: Both of my parents were born in Europe (Germany/Austria-Hungary) before WW1, and our home-made desserts were typical of their background. When I lived in South Florida, I was horrified by the local tendency to produce drinks and cakes loaded with sugar, but with little flavor.

    I once made a fresh peach and whipped-cream shortcake for a community event, in the Poconos, where I then lived, and overheard one of my neighbors commenting on my curious cake made "without sugar." I was dumb-founded, briefly. I noticed, however, that my cake was the first one gone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.