Feeling Klimt-ey

Yesterday I got a call from someone who asked me to come up with a new version of this:

SAM_1506SAM_1507

 

I don’t exactly have a name for this…because I made it up, it’s sort of a cloth version of the prayer book you use at the Shabbat table.

The indented recipient is someone I know, and I didn’t think that she would love the traditional blue and white  depicted here.  The recipient dresses in  in the sort of colors you see in a Klimt painting. I thought that the book could have the same feel. I anticipated photo transferring the black text onto the Klimt-like background.

 

I started with this beige silk shantung.

SAM_1504

I painted it with watered down acrylic paint in the right color.

SAM_1492

Then, looking at the Google image page for reference, began adding Klimt-like motifs to the silk first in a dull olive.

SAM_1494SAM_1495

Then I added additional colors.

SAM_1497

SAM_1503

I’m really happy with the result. now to select the text and transfer them to the silk.

Comments