Passover–a work in progress

Wednesday night the three kids and I joined forces and switched the house from during the year to Passover mode. Having all three working with me meant that the job got done without too much pain.

 

By Thursday morning I had made my first for the season batch of matza brei, done in my father’s custardy version ( and according to my kids the only version worth eating).   you can see how to make some yourself here. My father's matza brei

Yesterday I had also made the chicken soup in the ancestral giant lobster pot. late last night I asked my youngest to help strain the soup. It’s a giant messy hard job. But we now have four gallons of beautiful soup in the freezer.

SAM_0312

I went to Costco and got some of what we needed for Passover.

At least our shelves are lo longer empty.

SAM_0310SAM_0314

One tray of eggs has already been used up.

I also made the Charoset.

SAM_0308

It took  not quite two hours to chop the various nuts and fruits down to charoset. SAM_0313

But there it is in the fridge door next to the salmon I pickled this morning for our lunches during the first days of the holiday.

Comments

  1. I am glad your children are helping.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids so get that helping is not optional. My older son is making beet eggs for the seder. A first for us but the wild magenta color will be so pretty on the seder plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize that I could make the charoset so far in advance. Good tip. I soften my matzoh in hot water before draining and adding beaten eggs and milk. Hag samech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy i don't know if the typical Ashenazi charoset ( walnuts apples and sweet wine) improves by being made in advance...but the dried fruit charoset made with lots of wine and ginger, dates figs apricots raisins prunes an orange and a lemon is improved by hanging around for a few days.

    the horseradish though is best ( the most searing) on the day it is made

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.