Communal Obligations

My son’s school is having an auction this Friday night. I’m not going but I’m contributing items for the “Class basket”. My contribution is three scarves.

SAM_0262

 

This boa is made out of four layers of Indian printed  “sari silk”.  Sari silk is not exactly silk, and is more likely a poly rayon mix.  To make the scarf I layered  four 2 yard lengths of the fabric, and stitched down the middle. I then cut strips to the stitching line on the diagonal so they would not fray.

SAM_0266SAM_0265

This infinity scarf is made out of metallic and silk organza. The fabric came off the bolt flat. After I sewed up the circle, I wet the silk. when the fabric is wet it crinkles up like crazy.  I love how it falls somewhere between a scarf and jewelry. I own several of these scarves and wear them a ton. They are just to thing to toss over boring clothes and look as if you made an effort to get dressed.

SAM_0270SAM_0269SAM_0268SAM_0267

This last scarf /shawl photographs the least impressively but too the most amount of work. I dyed the scarf by folding it into a square, painting along the fold lines, setting the color and then repeating the process along a different axis.  I like the soft geometry in the scarf.

 

Hopefully these scarves will help to raise badly needed money for my son’s excellent school.

Comments