Skip to main content

Suzy Home Maker Strikes Again

My friend Naamah is tall and willowy. She also is a wonderful dresser.  Naamah’s  daughter has a completely different, but also lovely shape, and completely different style of dressing.

Although my daughter is not tall. her shape is more similar to Naamah’s. My daughter also has a similar sense of style. So my daughter has been inheriting some wonderful clothing from Naamah.

This dress came in the latest batch of clothing. I think that it must be from the mid 1970’s. It’s knit from a mystery fiber ( a cotton synthetic blend), and edged with hand done crochet in cotton. it has a French label.

My daughter loved the dress. It’s perfect to wear swing dancing.  She loved the 1930’s vibe of the dress.

 

dye dress (3)

She hated the color. Naamah’s coloring is like Snow White’s. The soft green is dramatic against her black hair. These sorts of soft colors do my daughter no favors.

 

 

My daughter asked me to dye the dress a dark color, any dark color.

dye dress (4)

Two bottles of Rit later…

dye dress (1)

 

The dress is sort of purple. The crochet bits are black.  some of the dress got caught under the agitator and there are some holes near the hem. I plan to darn the holes decoratively, turning them into embroidered flowers.

I blocked the knit a bit and am drying it on the dress form. I think it will all work out fine.

 

I spent much of my sewing time today doing repairs and refining some details on some dresses that needed a bit of attention.

That, and tending to my son who is now better.  Mom made tea  and pita is a comforting thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

Food friday - your grandmother's food processor

My grandmother bought my mother this wooden bowl and a chopping knife, known in Yiddish as a hock-messer, soon after my parents got married. Yes, she also got them a dairy set as well. these wooden bowls and chopping knives were a big part of food prep when I was growing up. meatloaf and meat balls were mixed in this bowl. Chopped liver was made in this bowl as well. Sundays we often made chicken salad for lunch made out of chicken left over from Shabbat chopped with vegetables and mayo. That too, was made in this bowl. When I was in college my parents got their first food processor and the chopping bowls were not used as much. Several years ago, my father asked if i would like the bowls and the hock-messers. I was happy to have them. I like the sheer physicality of chopping up a big bowl of stuff into teeny pieces. While the wooden bowls have stood up well to the years of use, the hock-messers had not. The bladed which were bolted into their handles, wobbled. The blades wouldn't ...