All dressed up …with a place to go to

I got my black tie event outfit al put together. The dress is complete. I realized I needed a wrap of some kind. My usual lace or  chiffon won’t work with the dress because the sequins will snag those fabrics.

100_2332

 

It’s hard to look elegant while extracting ones self from  a shawl. This is where being a tallit maker comes in handy. I had a length of Calvin Klein satin in my stash. ( Hurray for www.fabricmartfarics.com mystery bundles!)  Sewing it up and top stitching the shawl was quick work. far quicker than pressing all the wrinkles out of the fabric.

 

I did need an evening bag.  My neighbor had given me an evening bag with a cute shape in bright orange.

bag before

 

See, it’s a really bright orange. I made a slip cover out of  crinkled metallic silk organza. I hand stitched it onto the bag.

bag after

I think the bag is vastly improved. Yes, you can see the orange peeping through.   I assume that the room where the party will be held will be on the dark side so the color won’t be all that offensive. I added a large crafted brass and pewter pin to the bag after I took the photo. Now that I realize that slip covering an evening bag isn’t that hard, I will re cover the first evening bag I ever owned, a black velvet that has become rusty looking with age. Once again, my trusty old sewing books come in handy with trifty hints for glamorous living.

the ensemble

 

I covered the orange part of the strap with more of the organza. My armless dummy is holding the bag through the magic of ribbon concealed by the  shawl. I defied no laws of gravity for this photograph.

 

Despite running away from my family for this weekend, I did cook the folks who remained behind Shabbat dinner. It’s in the fridge waiting for them to warm it up.  You want to know what I made? Chicken roasted with sumac and smoked paprika and potato chunks roasted with olive oil, thyme,rosemary and lavender and salt. They can make salad or warm up frozen veggies tomorrow.

Comments