Another Baby Jacket

100_2185
Our dear friends Meyer and Suzanne and a new grand daughter. This baby lives out side of Boston so these soft  New England colors are just right. The jacket is made out of a  cotton quilted throw I had purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond for making into other things. I had made an apron out of some of the throw.

All of my old sewing books show jackets in this shape for babies.
baby jacket diagram

In fact, I had made this baby’s first cousin a jacket based on the same diagram.
baby jacket

One advantage of using the quilted throw is that it is already lined. I realized as I was making this jacket  that experience has taught me that finishing off the hems before I sew the jacket together just makes life easier.
candacejacket detail


I bound the front edges with foulard silk. Unlike my usual way of sewing on bindings, I sewed the binding to the inside of the jacket first, and then turned it to the outside and stitched it with the decorative diamond stitch. I stitched in the ditch on the front. And since you asked, yes I mitered the corners.
candace jacket closure


Closures are often a struggle for me, but I had purchased these nifty hooks and eyes on a lark. I figured that they would come in handy.they have. I like the vaguely Asian feel of this jacket.
candace jacket detail2

Comments