Caveman Shabbat

When one of our kids is about to go away for a while, they get to choose the menu for their last Shabbat home. Not surprisingly, my youngest chose , what we call “Caveman Shabbat”, that is, beef ribs.

My youngest takes after my husband. He is one of those people who forgets to eat. He would for the most part be satisfied with a diet of mac and cheese and cereal and milk. My youngest does adore eating ribs in barbeque sauce.
My two other kids really enjoy cooking. my youngest has not shown a whole lot of interest, probably because he doesn’t care a whole lot about food. I thought that it might b nice if my youngest cooked the ribs. So while I worked on Rosie’s tallit, I talked my son through the steps of preparing the ribs.

So here is our Shabbat dinner, with the main dish prepared by my youngest. I’m also making a vaguely Asian salad, sliced cucumber, celery and fennel dressed with rice vinegar and toasted sesame oil, couscous and of course , challah. Yes, the ribs do smell amazing. I wish this blog had smell-o-vision.
ribs

Comments