Finally–an apron


aprons 001
Apron illistrations from Smart Sewing- 1949

100_1197
My own take on the domestic goddess uniform-My apron is knee length on me.

Sometimes it seems as if you can’t have a sewing blog without featuring aprons.  My mother never, ever wore an apron. My father though, used to wear a big denim, butcher’s apron when he baked bread.

For lots of the women about half a generation younger than I am who are sewing and blogging about it, aprons seem to evoke a sort of “days of yore domesticity”. lots of these blogging young women have taken on apron wearing in a tongue in cheek sort of a way.
A few years back I had made myself a butcher’s apron that didn’t quite work. but I wore it when I baked bread.

One of my sisters had given me the 1949 edition of “Smart Sewing” an annual magazine with nifty sewing projects. I fell in love with the darted aprons made out of a bias square of fabric and finished off with a big ruffle.

I wanted an apron that would provide more coverage for bread baking. Francis Blondin who wrote the directions for the sewing projects in “Smart Sewing” suggests starting out with an 18 inch square. I started with a much bigger square cut out of the bark cloth my friend Sharry had given me. Typical for my work methods, I read the directions many times a few months back, and then just made the apron as I wished. It isn’t rocket science, it’s just an apron. A crazy, adorable apron that is even flattering, but still just an apron.

So now I must really be a sewing blogger... I took this photo in my kitchen, because where else should one photograph an apron? I just realized that my apron matched my kitchen. That wasn't planned. I promise.

Comments

  1. My Mother also didn't wear an apron. Any we had were those ones that only covered below waist. I never understood that since flour, grease splatters usually head towards the upper body. Some 20 years ago I got myself a full body apron. And I wear it...occasionally...but it does come in handy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.