And one sibling gets the pink sash...

I cheated a bit yesterday. The Challa cover with the appliqued leaves was not quite completed. It was still not backed and was missing it's border. As I looked at it during the evening, I realized that it needed some floral matter in addition to the appliqued foliage.

Sometimes I purchase fabric because I have a specific project in mind for it. Sometimes I purchase fabric because it simply appeals to me. The crinkle purple iridescent poly I used for the flowers appealed to me on a purely irrational basis. I found it in a curtain store on 37th street. it was a magpie purchase. "Shiny! Crinkled! Iridescent! Must own!" At $5/yard two yards was not a bad deal.

I tore off a three inch strip and serged the long ends together. Then I snipped off 3-5 inch lengths of the strip , sewed them into bagels and then gathered the serged edge.. Then I gathered the open end and sewed the flower like purple lumps onto the challa cover. Several of these flowers have a bead sewn into the center.

As, I worked the text of a needlework book I had read during the 1970's kept running through my head. The author was very critical of exactly this sort of sculptural applique so beloved by Victorian needle women. I could see how too much of this sort of work can certainly go too far. But I was thinking "Tough noogies!" Yes, this is a little goofy, but just this side of tasteful.

Comments

Popular Posts