Recreating the cosmos

Maya's tallit requires a fair amount of hand work. One side of the tallit is ocean-ey. the other is cosmos/sky. Maya had dyed the silk for the tallit, green on one side and blue on the other.I had been stitching away on the ocean, and the cosmos was pretty empty.

Since  what I am depicting is cosmos, deep space, I lke to have that sense of looking deep into the infinity.  One of the ways to do that, is to layer  the stars and other glittery business. If I were a different sort of a girl I would have planned out each stitch and each bead before I started. But I am not that sort of a girl. I like to have the piece evolve as I work. I could pretend that I need to work that way for some deep artistic reason and put that in my mission statement.  Honestly though if I were simply following a pattern, I would be too bored to work. So riffing on cosmos is the way for me to go.

What you are looking at is a mix of machine stitching, hand stitching, beading and sequins. Clearly there is more to go. Back to cosmos building!!!.

Comments