My grandmother's hankie


came floating out of the Yom Kippur volume of her Machzorim/ holiday prayer books. I am the temporary care giver of these prayer books. They are to be given to my daughter when she is ready to own them.

I didn't know that these prayer books existed, but my mother sent them to me as she closed up her house of the last more than fifty years. It seemed so appropriate that the hankie was in the Yom Kippur prayer book. I assume the hankie was put in there to prepare for Yizkor, the memorial prayers.

This set of books was published in 1939. My grandmother was born around 1888. I assume that this set was a replacement for an earlier set that had fallen apart.


Here is a photo of my grandmother about the time she received her Machzorim/ holiday prayerbooks.





Posted by Picasa

Comments