Because people know I sew I often am given random collections of sewing things.
The tool below, came into my life last summer.
The looped handle also gives this tool a second excellent use. This little tool is also an excellent bodkin. A bodkin is a tool that allows you to thread elastic or ribbon through a narrow casing. I sewed elastic to the top of the loop and easily threaded the elastic through a casing. Normally, I use safety pins as bodkins but sometimes a safety pin can decide to open mid task which can result in lots of cursing. I don't know if it is possible to buy a similar combination mini screwdriver/bodkin but if you find one, get it.
Below is a rolling ruler. It was first invented in the 1710s and was used in mapmaking and in technical drafting.
Apparently the metal rolling ruler of yore was reinvented in plastic in 1991. I first saw one in a quilt show in the early 1990s and it was an expensive tool that I lusted over. A few years later I started finding cheap knock offs for a couple of bucks. The knock offs work well but the rulers have an unpleasant tendency to break off just past the ruler. They are still useful, although less so.
I found the rolling ruler above in a thrift store and it seems to be of better quality than the ones destined for a short life. I just used my rolling ruler this afternoon to mark the placement of this line of ribbon painted with text.
It makes a tricky job much less tricky.
The text painted ribbon is going on Jess's tallit.
My secret weapon for painting lettering on fabric is










Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.