Skip to main content

Moving right along

 Hanoch, the man for whom I am making this tallit, is an army chaplain.  He really wanted the pinot to  echo the Jewish army chaplain stole (pictured below).



The stole isn't a tallit, but it is often worn on official chaplain business. The Christian stoles are similar but with Christian iconography. (I am not going to explain how the Christian liturgical stole is actually derived from Jewish religious dress, so the Army stole is a weird back borrowing. But that is a different topic.)


I suppose that I could have put in a million hours to replicate the embroidered insignia. I know that what I would have ended up with would have been an artistic take on the military insignia rather than the real thing. For some clients that would have been the perfect approach, but not for Hanoch.

So, uncharacteristically for me,  I commissioned  Jan Gorelick  to use her computerized embroidery machine to create the pinot for me.  The machine that Jan owns is the equivalent of a scanner and printer but instead of printing ink on paper, the output is embroidered on fabric. I am simplifying the work involved by a whole lot but, you get the idea.

 I really loved working with Jan. This is what she sent me.



I wanted to integrate the Jan's pinot into the design of the rest of the tallit. I stacked a black Petersham ribbon over a turquoise satin ribbon and embroidered it into place with a gold metallic diamond stitch. Then I added the turquoise saw-tooth stitches on either side of the Petersham ribbon.


My goal was for the Jewish and the army elements in this tallit to have a conversation with one another and not sulk at opposite corners of the room.


Below you can see the ribbon applied on the pinot. I cut down the emblems that Jan had made. so the proportions would fit the tallit better.

Yes, I am aware that I haven't finished trimming all of the loose threads.

Jan had added a simple blue eyelet.


I sewed the pinot onto the tallit with a bright green scallop stitch. I expanded and embellished the eyelet using a turquoise silk thread a slate blue rayon embroidery thread and a gold metallic thread.




And here are the pinot in place on the tallit. Your brain doesn't actually notice the bright green stitches but it just works better than using the expected blue.












I really think that this works.


The atara still needs to be completed...but with tzitzit, this is a useable tallit. A friend saw the tallit the other day. She commented that she imagined a child snuggled close to Hanoch and just taking in all of the small details during services. My friend is right. I often design for the person looking closely at every detail of a tallit and not just the viewer from across the room.

And now a follow-up form Friday's post. 



The custard did not set. It was delicious, but a sauce rather than a custard. After Shabbat, I added more tapioca starch to the mixture and cooked it for another minute or two in the microwave. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים

  וְנֶאֱמָן אַתָּה לְהַחֲיוֹת מֵתִים: בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהֹוָה מְחַיֵּה הַמֵּתִים   You are faithful to restore the dead to life. Blessed are You, Adonoy, Resurrector of the dead. That particular line is recited at every single prayer service every day three times a day, unless you use a Reform or Reconstructionist prayer book . In those liturgies instead of praising God for resurrecting the dead God is praised for  giving life to all.  I am enough of a modern woman, a modern thinker, to not actually believe in the actual resurrection of the dead. I don't actually expect all of the residents of the Workmen's Circle section of  Mount Hebron cemetery in Queens to get up and get back to work at their sewing machines. I don't expect the young children buried here or  the babies buried here to one day get up and frolic. Yet, every single time I get up to lead services I say those words about the reanimating of the dead with every fiber of my being. Yesterday, I e...

Connecting with the past

A few months ago I had a craving for my father’s chicken fricassee.  If my father were still alive I would have called him up and he would have talked me through the process of making it.    My father is no longer alive so I turned to my cookbooks and the recipes I found for chicken fricassee were nothing at all like the stew of chicken necks, gizzards and wings in a watery sweet and sour tomato sauce that I enjoyed as a kid.  I assumed that the dish was an invention of my father’s. I then attempted to replicate the dish from my memory of it and failed.   A couple of weeks ago I saw an article on the internet, and I can’t remember where, that talked about Jewish fricassee  and it sounded an awful lot like the dish I was hankering after. This afternoon I went to the butcher and picked up all of the chicken elements of the dish, a couple of packages each of wings, necks and gizzards. My father never cooked directly from a cook book. He used to re...

The light themed tallit has been shipped!!!

 I had begun speaking to Sarah about making her a tallit in the middle of August. It took a few weeks to nail down the design. For Sarah it would have been ideal if the tallit were completed in time for her to wear it on Rosh HaShanah., the beginning of her year as senior rabbi of her congregation. For me, in an ideal world, given the realities of preparing for the High Holidays I would have finished this tallit in the weeks after Sukkot. So we compromised and I shipped off the tallit last night.  I would have prefered to have more time but I got the job done in time. This tallit was made to mark Sarah's rise to the position of senior rabbi but it was also a reaction to this year of darkness. She chose a selection of verses about light to be part of her tallit. 1)  אֵל נוֹרָא עֲלִילָה  God of awesome deeds ( from a yom kippur Liturgical poem) 2)  אוֹר חָדָשׁ עַל־צִיּוֹן תָּאִיר   May You shine a new light on Zion ( from the liturgy) 3)  יָאֵר יְהֹ...