Windows

 Last Thursday I noticed a crane outside my window.


It was clearly a crane of impressive length. We live on the 6th floor. 



I kept looking out the window and trying to figure out what was going on.

 
I have had a great fondness for large  construction equipment from the days when our street was repaved when I was perhaps three and reinforced by the fabulous Tonka trucks owned by my friends Markie and Stevie who  were my constant companions in my earliest childhood.


It wasn't until I went out in the afternoon to get my second shingles shot that I learned  why the crane was at work.


The crane was being used as a moveable work platform for the crew painting the building next door to mine. It may be an only in New York City thing that renting a giant crane for a day is much less expensive than putting up scaffolding.


Sunday morning we got together with out of town cousins who were staying in a grand old hotel. After a beautiful  breakfast they invited us to see their room.



Their view looked like any number of New Yorker covers. 



I could have looked out of the windows all day but our cousins had a plane to catch.


Yesterday morning I woke up to a perfect snowfall. 












By the afternoon I was a little worried that the tree branches might break from the weight of the snow.



This winter has been so warm that the trees seem to think that the winter has come to an end.



But after not that long the snow began to melt.


Today during my workout the trees across Broadway were filled with birds.

















The snowfall felt like a gift. I'm glad that it didn't overstay  and leave us with piles of depressing blackened ancient snow.








Comments